Skip to main content

Who is a yogi?

I've been asked lately what it means to be a yogi.

That got me thinking! How do i answer such an __apparent__ simple question in a way that is applicable to today's life?
I've met so many "yogis" while traveling through India. Men and women telling me they follow the path of yoga, they practice asana (postures), live a simple life free of frivolous material things, share their passion for this ancient practice, read yogic texts, meditate, chant mantras, and pray. 
DO these habits make them yogis?



I heard one of my teachers say the other day, "a yogi is someone who cares". Yes, a human being who genuinely cares about others, who willingly participates in creating __or co-creating__for the greater good of all is a yogi... or is he?
i used to call myself a yogini, until just recently one of my very dear friends pointed out to me that i am not. Having left most of my possessions behind, having disconnected myself__ at least physically__ from a lot of what the Western culture offers doesn't qualify me as a yogini.
Guess what, it turns out i don't fully embrace the path of yoga, i don't live 100% separated from desires and attachments, although i would love to think that I do. So, here it is I am Not a Yogini: maybe this is why i  have such difficulty explaining what this word means.


So let's see... i follow a strong spiritual practice__without it i wouldn't know how to even begin my day or look for answers__ I chant and chant and chant some more, I pray, oh i pray! I sit in front of my altar for hours and hours most days than not, i ask the Divine to guide me in thoughts, words, and actions as much as possible. i move my body in different postures on a daily basis and i also share these passions of mine to whomever wishes to listen, or asks me questions, i guide other humans through this simple life of ours that we complicate for ourselves just because we can. 
This is me, this is what i do. 
And yet i still crave the little things that make life pleasurable, what we are so used to that we don't even realize how lucky we are to have access to spa time, new clothes, healthy foods, traveling, to buy books.

Are yogis supposed to crave these? Of course there is a difference__a huge difference__ between desiring things and the attachment to that desire. We all know that desire creates suffering, don't we? Think about it for a second, have you ever desired something and then open to the possibility that it might happen or not happen and be ok with either result? Now think, have you ever desired something so badly that f you didn't get it you thought your life would be ruined? The second scenario is the one that deals with attachment, the painful je ne sais quoi that sits at the pit of your stomach and doesn't bring you peace.
You know what I'm taking about, right?
Moral of the story, Elena, who is a yogi?
A yogi is... a yogi is... you know what? i don't have an answer.
Can you give me your version of a yogi or a yogini? 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The power of letting go

  Non-Attachment.  A term the world is becoming more and more familiar with if.  Have you ever found yourself saying “I want peace”, “I want to feel more connected” or “I want to be able to live in present moment”?  Letting go of things, situations that no longer serve you, projections, desire to control the future, and expectations are the best practices to live a mindful and healthy  lifestyle; the recipe to a fulfilled and stress-free life.  Let go and start living!  Let go of stuff .  Are you the type of person who acquires so many things because you believe that this new ... fill in the blanks...  or that .... fill in the blanks ...  will make you happy?  By continuing to search outside of yourself for comfort without a strong inner practice, you will always be hungry: your heart and bellies will never feel full.  What if you could come from a place of enough—how much stuff do you actually need? Have you ever asked yourself that? Let go of the story.   What stories about yourse

Time ~ by Naomi of Gratitude Vietnam

A year ago, I had six months left of a two year contract.  I had signed the contract to save for a new life, start a business and leave the safety of the institution of education I had been happily ensconced in since starting school at the age of five. Six months felt like a life-sentence, yet when they had passed, it felt as though the time had run away in a flash! The impact of this perplexingly contextual perception of time during this period has stayed with me, and got me thinking… For as long as beings have been conscious on this planet, there has been witness to the passing of time. Whether through observation of changing seasons, passing of day and night, tidal movement, interplanetary movement or stars, each and every civilisation has found a way to measure, record, navigate and ‘manage’ time. We divide days into hours, lives into years, history into eras, evolution into periods. Our own lives we ‘chapter’ and bookmark by pivotal moments, decisions made (for better or s

Your new life is going to cost you your old one

Maybe the fact that i saw my first dead body floating in the Ganga today prompted me to write this. He was all curled up, face down, left leg missing from the knee down. Sadhu's orange clothes bundled up, back showing. His floating had come to a stop, the river's current being slow and we helped him going his way moving the water with our cupped hands to create waves. My first thought was to take a picture, and the second 'how insensitive of me to even think that'. i mean, it's not like i need a photo to remember the feelings, emotions, and thoughts this event brought up. It's an image i will never forget. Also possibly the fact that i was attacked by two stray cats in two days, in two separate occasions made me think about death and the brevity of human life. It is quite frightening, let me tell you! Without notice the cat shape-shifts into this crazy fast ball that you think is going to attack your hair or something. In both instances the mother cat was